Sunday, November 16, 2008

Grand Ole' Pumpkin Patch

Early in October we made our first ever visit to the Grand Ole' Pumpkin Patch. I had seen ads on TV, so I knew it would be like a small county fair, but I don't think Chris was prepared for it! Luckily we went with several friends so we always saw someone we knew as we wandered around.

Lily had fun sitting on the giant pumpkins with her friend Miriam.


It was quite a chore to try and get a good picture while Lily was looking at the camera - most shots came after she smiled widely as I raised the camera,then looked away as the shutter clicked...the joys of toddlerhood!


We did have to explain to her that all the pumpkins she saw were not ours and belonged to the patch, I think she would have carried as many as possible all around the place!


I think the best part to Lily and Miriam, was the large field to run in. I know I have talked about my little runner.... well, she and Miriam played chase for about 30 minutes straight, as the both ran full tilt across the field, like a Little House on the Prairie intro. The daddys had to head them off or I think they still would be running.


Lily got to go through the petting zoo with Chris and was fine until one large and extremely loud sheep "baa'd" in her face...after that, she wanted to look at them from a higher viewpoint.


We then all rode the tractor out to the field of pumpkins. It was thankfully shaded and after the cross country run, Lily was ready to sit down for a couple of minutes.


We then wandered through the field for several minutes, looking for the right pumpkin for Lily. I kept finding large ones, just right for carving, but then Lily found hers. It seemed to call to her, with its long stem, perfect for little hands. I can honestly say, I have never purchased a green pumpkin before, but she knew better than I did, because it ripened quite nicely on my kitchen table over the next 4 weeks, and I am sure the ones I was looking at would have long since squished all over the place!

No comments: