Friday, April 25, 2008

The evolution of Mi-Mouse.


So I decided on a Mickey Mouse theme for Lily's birthday party. (Or Mi-Mouse, as Lily says.) Little did I know that Mickey Mouse paraphernalia is actually really hard to find! Most of the Disney stuff I found was princesses or Pooh. After having trouble finding a cake pan, I decided to make my own cakes. I mean, how hard can a big circle and two little circles be???

I traced my cake pans on a brown paper bag and drew a face on it to try and get some type of pattern. Then I made my cakes and put the patterns up to the cake to cut the arc in the ears...did you know cakes shrink when they cool??? I must have missed that on the Food Network. So I had to estimate and hope the ears stuck close to the Mickey head!


Before Lily went to bed, she saw the round cakes cooling on the counter and got very excited, she thought they were huge biscuits! I told her they were her cakes and she could see them in the morning, she seemed ok with that.

I decided to frost the cake lightly first - I thought that was called a crumb coat, to make sure the crumbs didn't bleed through the finished frosting, but no one I mentioned that term to had heard of it so it could have just been another something I dreamed up on my own.....but it made it easier to scratch my design in the frosting, especially since my pattern no longer fit the incredible shrinking cakes.




Lo and behold, a mere 3 hours of frosting later, I had a decent Mickey and Minnie Mouse cake pair. I had tried to make black frosting, and read to start with chocolate so you had to use less dye, but as I tried over and over to get it darker and it still looked chocolate, I decided chocolate ears were totally fine!
They probably tasted better too, than they would have if I had managed to dye it enough!


When I woke Lily up the day of her party, I showed her the cakes and she smiled and said "Mickey Mouse!!" I thought it was cute that the day she had her Mickey and Minnie cakes, she learned to say his whole name! But Mi-Mouse was very cute too, I was kind of sad to hear her say it right!

2 comments:

BlessedMom said...

I'm so stealing this idea from you for Zep's birthday in August. How much would you charge me to make and decorate the cake?? Really, I'm not kidding!!!!

Pamela said...

Very cute, great job on the cake oh the things we do for our kids. Sorry we missed it!