Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rough day!

So, today was the first day of dance class again. I charged up the video camera this morning. We talked about what dances she might do, as I shucked her into her tights. Her friend from school, Georgia, ended up being in her class. Everything was good, until Ms. Charla started to hand out the sparkly stars. You may remember we have a love-hate relationship with the stars. Today must have been a "hate" day. She ran back to me, clinging like a spider monkey. I carried her to the door, sobbing (her, not me) and tried to pry her off into the classroom. No go.
So the teacher recommended that I and another mother hang out in the doorway as our girls cried and maybe eventually they would join in. The other little girl joined in after about 10 minutes. Lily finally couldn't resist the tip-toeing in a circle and started to join in a little, after about 20-25 minutes. But if I tried to leave the doorway, she ran out of the classroom into the hallway shouting MOMMY!!! So there I stayed, bouncer at the door, and she more or less participated. Therefore, I have no videos, because I had left the camera over near my purse, intending to sit with the other moms....but, if you want to scroll back to the beginning of summer dance, you can watch those videos again and get the general idea.

So, then as a "cheer-me-up" we went to McWane center, where she is still convinced my friend Ms. Cyndi lives for some odd reason, and she went straight up to her favorite section, the grocery store. They have a grocery conveyor belt that the kids play with, turning a wheel at each end to convey the food along the belt. She was at one end and a little boy was at the other end, each working the wheel. Why kids always stand in front of the wheel, instead of along side of it, I guess is some kind of childhood rite of passage. They were turning it so the bananas were heading towards Lily, when all of a sudden, the little boy decided to bring the bananas towards him, away from Lily. You guessed it, He-man pulled on his wheel and Lily came along for the ride, whapping her face on the metal wheel. I went to pick her up and she had blood on her face, turns out from a fat lip. She handled it like a trooper, while I held my hand under her chin and passed He-man's mommy on the way out where she gave me a blank smile like a simpleton. I know she didn't see what happened, but I almost lost it when she grinned up at me like that. Oh well, first of many. Lily was ready to play pretty soon after, which I was glad to see, and of course she wanted to immediately play with the conveyor belt.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the joys of toddlerhood! I loved every minute, but my mama bear instincts kicked up from time to time!

the dance class sounds fun. I remember many a day when Liam was his own version of spider monkey. Sadly, those days are behind us and he now asks when I am going out so that his favorite sitters can come and stay with him. They are more glamorous than mommy, I guess.

cabhodges said...

She's a dancer to me, even if she doesn't like the silly class. I LOVE LILY! Did she ever warm up to class?